Did you know that your sports bra should be replaced nearly as often as your running/workout shoes? I bet a lot of us can dig through our dressers and find sports bras that have been loved a little too long (we are even guilty of it here at Runner’s Alley from time to time!)
SPORTS BRA QUICK FACTS:
- A good sports bra can reduce breast movement by up to 83%
- 64% of women report experiencing breast discomfort during a workout
- There are no muscles in the breast which means any damage done by improper support is irreversible!
- A non-supportive bra places undue stress on the Cooper’s Ligaments – these ligaments help maintain structural integrity of the breasts (read: they keep you from sagging!)
- Active women should be fit for a sports bra at least once a year
A sports bra is a very important piece of equipment and can really make or break a woman’s active experience.
When looking at a sports bra, there are 3 key components you want to pay attention to:
The band around your rib cage is going to provide most of the support in the bra. It should fit snug and lie even against your back.
The breast tissue should be fully contained within each cup. If you are spilling out the top or sides, the bra is too small.
The support should not feel like it’s coming entirely from the straps. They should not slip or dig.
Every woman’s support needs are different! You needs will vary based on your build, cup size, breast shape, and the activities you’re doing.
If you are open to it, we will measure your bra size. First, we’ll measure your rib cage directly under your bust. Then, we’ll measure around the bust. The difference between your rib cage measurement and your bust measurement determines your cup size.
However, if you’d rather not be measured, that’s fine too! We’ll select a few options for you based on your everyday bra size and let you go to town in the dressing room.
All the bras that we offer at Runner’s Alley are made with a polyester/spandex blend which means they will wick moisture and keep your skin cool, dry, and chafe-free
A good sports bra will run you anywhere between $35 – $65 – a minor investment when you think about how important this piece of equipment is!
A full selection of Brooks Sports Bras are available at all Runner’s Alley stores. [FIND A RUNNER’S ALLEY NEAR YOU]